"Foxpaw...Foxpaw" a voice echoed to him. He slowly opened his heavy eyes. He let out a groan and sighed "Who is it?" A cat he didn't quite recognize yet mewed "Dovepaw. I was on the morning patrol. Oh, Foxpaw I'm so glad you didn't run away like the Elders were saying!" His ears perked up a bit and he felt warm, almost seeming enough to melt the frosty ground around him. "Let's get back to camp", Dovepaw's voice startled him from his thoughts. He stumbled the way along, Dovepaw shooting him worried glances, but he kept a determined composure. Finally, he reached the edge of the camp.
"Oh, Foxpaw. Glad to see you returned" his mentor mewed, trying to mask her relief. As he padded through camp other cats shot him "where have you been" glances. Dawnstar emerged from her den quietly. "Foxpaw. Where did you go?" she demanded sharply. "I'm sorry. I was going out to the dirtplace when I heard this strange noise coming from the territory. I followed it to investigate and...I...I think I must have fainted" he lied, knowing he couldn't give away his secret. "What was this noise like?" she asked curiously. "Well, I thought it was another cat, a tresspasser, but I couldn't get a scent" he answered more calmly. Technically, this was true, there was another cat, though one from StarClan. Dawnstar nodded and dismissed him with her tail. She headed back into her den almost more quietly than she had left it. Foxpaw felt strange lying to his Leader like that.
The memory and truth of that night haunted his mind. I can never tell her how I feel about her he thought, his heart sinking. A voice echoed in his head, it was rough and angry. "You have been tricked. This is not a gift. A fat mouse has been dangled in front of you, then burned in front of your very eyes. You belong with the Cursed..." For a moment he saw a flash of a black shadow in the shape of a cat. He was shocked. What is...the Cursed? he thought with a chill going down his spine.











1 comments:
Awesome! I can't wait to see what happens :)
Post a Comment